Wednesday, December 14, 2022

2022 Catch-up Review: A Wrinkle in Time

A Wrinkle in Time A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I don't really know what to say at the moment. I think I'm still processing what I've read. I like that the book takes up big ideas and tries to simplify them into something understandable through this story. How effective it can be, I am not entirely sure. Did it move me? No, not really. But it had me interested...very much so. I believe the major underlying theme of this book is that nothing is what it seems. The sense of 'sight' and the power of words appear to be detriments in the philosophy of the story -- detriments to true or complete understanding. It would have been nice if some of these ideas had been explored further. However, there is no getting away from the fact that this is a book meant for children, and perhaps this much is a great deal in itself.

The characters were not wholesome. Each of them was created to play a role, including the protagonist, Meg, and that is that. While this might have bothered me, it did not do so much as I was a lot more invested in trying to understand where the writer was going with all these ideas. I am not able to lay them all out here, though. My thoughts will not translate to words. Words do not seem enough and might end up only complicating what appears to be so simple in my mind -- much like one of the book's themes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment to engage in conversation over this post.